From the Foundations Upwards!
Everything we do at Assist aims to give people the things they need to succeed in their lives, whatever their abilities might be and building from the foundations upwards. All activities and groups focus on helping and encouraging people to:
- Build confidence
- Speak up and have their own opinions
- Get on with others and learn social skills
- Build mutual trust
- Try new things
- Take manageable amounts of responsibility
- Understand real life expectations
- Learn from their mistakes
- Get into the real world, find opportunities to try things out and learn how to be more independent
In order to answer all of these needs, Assist provides a very wide range of groups and activities from both of its main bases and out in the community, every weekday.
Groups can range from socialising and discussion groups like “current affairs”, “me and others” and “how my body works”, to life skill groups like “daily living skills”, “money and budgeting” and “out and about” to groups focussing on specific subjects like “building employment skills” and “housing options”.
Timetables are changed 3 times a year to keep everything interesting and to give everyone a chance to try the groups they are keen on.